This year marks Havana's 500th anniversary and the Cuban capital is marking the occasion with more than 200 events organized throughout the year.
Cuba is thriving as a tourist destination. The country has already reached one million visitors in just three months, with 30 per cent coming from Canada.
Here are just a few events one can discover in Havana this year:
- The 13th edition of the Biennial of Havana, from April 12 to May 12, considered one of the most important artistic events in the world. You can admire works of art at Malecón, Paseo del Prado and on Linea Street in the Vedado district.
- The May Day parade on the occasion of International Workers Day.
- The International Tourism Fair (FIT) of Cuba from May 6-11th.
- Carnival Habanero is during the middle of August.
- A special edition of "Rutas y Andares" (Routes and Walks), a program of visits to Havana during the months of July and August.
- An international workshop on musical heritage, including Hispanic Cuban romantic music of the nineteenth century, held from June 24-30 at the Minor Basilica of the Convent of San Francisco de Asís, the Sala Cervantes and the Aula Magna of San Gerónimo School of Havana
- An international "Ernest Heminway" needle-fishing tournament, June 7-10, at Hemingway Marina.
- A fair of art, at the Rampa, in July and August.
- Musical concerts every month.
- A big concert with Cuban musicians on September 1st at Plaza Vieja.
Find the full program of festivities on gocuba.ca
Take note of these new hotels
New all-inclusive hotels have recently opened in Cuba, including:
- The Paradisus los Cayos in Cayo Santa María
- The Meliá Internacional in Varadero
- The Iberostar Holguin
- The Iberostar Grand Packard in Havana
- The Segundo Frente Hotel in Santiago de Cuba