Intrepid has introduced Pakistan as a new destination to its portfolio in 2020, with the launch of a 17-day adventure from Islamabad to Lahore, traveling through the remote reaches of the Karakoram Mountains.
READ MORE: Intrepid adds more than 100 tours for 2020
“We’re always looking to develop experiences that will get travellers out of their comfort zones, to break new ground and to broaden their horizons,” said Tara Kennaway, senior product manager – operations, Intrepid Travel. “We’re excited to be providing the global community with access to Pakistan, one of the world’s few countries that remain under-the-radar with tourists.”
Intrepid Travel’s new Pakistan Expedition, priced from CAD $4,190 per person, begins in the capital of Islamabad and ends in Lahore.
Highlights of the trip include:
- Travelling on the famous Karakoram Highway past panoramas of glaciers, alpine lakes and mountains
- Visiting the point where the Himalaya, Karakoram and Hindu Kush – three of the world’s largest mountain ranges – meet
- Taking a 4WD to Khunjerab National Park in search of snow leopards, bears, wolves and rare Marco Polo sheep
- Checking out the ancient site of Taxila, World Heritage-listed ruins that are evidence of over 500 years of cultural evolution influenced by Persia, Greece and the spread of Buddhism
- Enjoying a homestay with a local family in Gulmit
- Meeting with a local women’s group created by the Aga Khan Foundation to learn about their projects and have lunch at a cafe run by local women
- Exploring Lawrence Gardens, now known as Bagh-e-Jinnah, which contain a botanical garden, an open-air theater and a historic cricket ground
- Shopping within the Walled City of Lahore at Akbari Mandi, dedicated to grains and spices, the bustling fish market by Delhi Gate, and Azam Cloth Market, one of Asia’s largest, housing close to 16,000 shops
The expedition will run twice in 2020 from Aug. 17-Sept. 2, 2020 and Sept. 2-18, 2020, with two additional departures scheduled in 2021.
For more information, visit: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/ca/pakistan/pakistan-expedition-129812.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!