Following a surge in local COVID-19 cases, Nova Scotia is closing its borders to all but essential travel starting today (May 10).
The new rules, which came into effect at 8 a.m, come after the province reported one new COVID-related death and 227 new cases on Friday (May 7).
Speaking to media last week, Premier Iain Rankin said there are more than 200 other cases of COVID19 that had been identified but had not yet been processed by Public Health.
Under the new restrictions, Nova Scotia will close to people entering from Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador until at least the end of the month.
Previously, the province’s border was closed to travellers coming from other provinces for non-essential reasons.
No exceptions will be made for people who need to enter Nova Scotia for a funeral and limited exceptions will be made for people who need to visit a dying family member.
The following groups will be allowed to enter the province:
- Permanent residents returning home.
- People who work outside the province.
- Post-secondary students returning home or entering to study (parents from outside Nova Scotia are not allowed to pick students up or drop them off).
- Individuals travelling for child custody reasons.
- People who are exempt from self-isolation and following the exempt traveller protocol.
- People who follow the protocol for travel between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for work, school and child care only.
The strict measures also apply to anyone who had plans to move to province, Premier Rankin said.
"We need you to stop — stop looking for loopholes, stop sneaking to another community to shop or visit your friends, stop trying to find an excuse to go to your cottage, stop shopping just for fun. Stop acting as if the third wave is the same as the first or the second, because it isn't. It's more aggressive, more deadly and we're all at increased risk," Rankin told reporters on Friday.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today