Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has officially announced that the Canada-U.S. border will remain closed to non-essential travel for another 30 days.
“This is an important decision that will keep people in both countries safe,” Trudeau told reporters from his daily press briefing in Ottawa on Tuesday (June 16th).
The border will now remain closed until July 21st. After that, the border could reopen or remain closed, depending on what the Canadian government decides to do.
The news confirms what previous reports this month have been indicating. This restriction has been extended twice already, for 30 days at a time.
The deal to temporarily close the Canada-U.S. border to recreational travel dates back to March 20th when both countries moved to halt the spread of COVID-19.
Since then, the border has still allowed trade, commerce and essential workers and goods to cross.
However, on June 9th, the government revealed that it will now allow some family members separated by temporary COVID-19 travel restrictions to cross the border into Canada.
Trudeau also announced on Tuesday that the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) program will be extended by eight weeks.
This means that out-of-work Canadians who will soon run out will have until the end of the summer to keep claiming the $2,000 a month benefit.
“Our goal here is to make sure the CERB is working for you in the best way possible,” Trudeau said.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!