Playa Hotels and Resorts’ Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties officially opened in Cap Cana on Nov. 1, offering both family-friendly and adults-only experiences along the eastern shores of the Dominican Republic.
The neighbouring resorts encompass 750 oceanfront suites on a 40-acre beachfront property. The all-ages Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana will feature a full-scale water park, extensively themed a la carte restaurants, kids’ and teens’ clubs and more, while the sophisticated adults-only Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana boasts some firsts for the brand, including a Hindu restaurant inspired by the Venice Simplon Orient Express and an underground cenote-inspired spa featuring the first Himalayan salt lounge in the Dominican Republic.
Together, the resorts will share a 14,000 square-foot fitness center modeled after an industrial boxing gym, 45,000 square-feet of meeting and event space with stunning wedding venues and a 300-seat open-air amphitheater.
For Kevin Froemming, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Playa Resorts & Hotels, it's these unique experiential concepts that have defined the creation and realization of the new development.
“What’s really exciting is that this is the first resort we’ve been able to build from the ground up, with all of the things we’ve wanted to do,” Froemming told PAX. “We really went all out and feel that it’s the crown jewel of the Hyatt Ziva and Zilara brands.”
While the doors have just opened, initial guest feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, Froemming added.
“What we’re hearing is that they can’t believe this is an all-inclusive,” he said. “There’s been a lot of very nice five-star resorts, but what we’re seeing now is that it’s opening up the market to new customers. Some of our first guests have been World of Hyatt members who have been redeeming their points. Rather than shifting people from one all-inclusive to another, these properties are bringing in a whole different customer to this experience.”
And with more than 1,000 Canadian travel agents expected to visit the properties over the next 16 months, Froemming said that Canada is expected to easily become the second-largest inbound market.
“We know if agents see it, they’ll send their clients there,” he said.
A closer look at both properties
Earlier this fall, PAX got an up-close look at the two properties as construction neared completion. Here's a recap of what we learned:
The Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana is an adults-only, all-inclusive property for guests 18 years of age and older:
- 375 oceanfront rooms and swim-up suites with 12 room categories (600 sq. ft. to 1,238 sq. ft.)
- Four a la carte dining options including Journeys (Indian), Brandos (French-Polynesian), Shutters Beachside (Peruvian), and Waves (steakhouse)
- One main buffet (The Pier)
- Seven bars: Deja Brew (coffee house), Gabriellas, Bongos, The Reef, La Mareas, The One-Eyed Cat, and Moments
- 24/7 room service
- Unlimited cocktails, spirits, beer, wine and soft drinks
- Daily and nightly activities, including paint & sip, golf clinics, water sports, cooking lessons and more
- Full access to dining options, bars and lounges at Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana
Guests who opt for the Club Level gain special access to services like:
- Private check-in and check-out in an exclusive area
- Personalized concierge services
- Private access to Club Pool
- Premium-brand liquors
- Complimentary domestic & international calls
- Exclusive Club Level Lounge featuring imported premium drinks, appetizers and continental breakfast, table games and WiFi
- 10% discount on spa and salon services
- Exclusive access to breakfast & lunch a la carte for club guests
- Late Check-out based on availability
The Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana is a family-friendly property, open to all-ages; adults who opt to stay at this property can still enjoy access to the entire Hyatt Zilara resort:
- Canapolis Waterpark, boasting a lazy river with grotto cascade, water cannons and seven slides
- 375 oceanfront suites with 46 swim-up suites and 12 room categories (600 sq. ft. to 1,873 sq. ft. (Presidential Suite)
- Six restaurants: Tempest Table (Mongolian grill), Noodle & Thread (Italian), Chinola (clean eating with gluten-free, keto, and vegan options), Navigator Grill (Caribbean flavours), Prontoz, (Caribbean flavours), El Mercado (gourmet buffet)
- Seven bars and lounges: Grog Grotto, Spritz, Cocoonz, Twisted Timbers, Coffee Republic, Bosque Lounge, Moments
- 24-hour suite service
- KidZ Club and Teen Lounge with awesome activities for younger guests
- 15 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport
- Full access for adults to Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana
As with the Hyatt Zilara, guests of the Hyatt Ziva can also opt for Club Level service, and enjoy the exact same benefits and added amenities.
- State-of-the-art 14,000 sq. ft. fitness centre including two cardio areas, Zumba, spinning and Pilates
- 45,000 sq.ft. of brand-new meeting and event space plus wedding venues
- Resort taxes, gratuities and Wi-Fi Internet access included
- Larimar Spa Cave, with 14 treatment rooms and 22,750 sq. ft. of space
- 300-seat open air Marquia Theater for nightly live performances featuring world-class performers
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!