Hortense des Dorides
French expat, Hortense des Dorides is an Ottawa based travel and lifestyle writer. Iceland, Utah, Hawaii or the Canadian Arctic are amongst her recent adventures. In her spare time, she likes to hike and camp.
Located about fifteen minutes from Cancún International Airport, the Haven Riviera Cancún recently opened its doors, welcoming the first guests to this new adults-only property.
The 333-room Haven Riviera Cancún is the first hotel built internationally by the Spanish group Hipotels; the opening also marks Hipotels’ first foray into the luxury sphere.
"It's not possible to go up-market with more rooms than that," says Florian Connert, the hotel's Senior Director of Sales & Marketing. “The whole experience is based on personalization. For this we have a quota of two employees per room. "
Customers can customize their experience upon arrival or even ask their travel agent to do so before their stay. From the mini bar, pillow menu and aromatherapy to Nespresso coffee capsules, guests can choose what suits them best.
"The customer can get involved to personalize their stay," said Connert.
The Haven Riviera Cancún in brief
- 333 rooms across 13 different categories, with more rooms offering a sea view than overlooking the gardens;
- 33 per cent of them are part of the Serenity section, a VIP enclave with private check-in, private lounge, beachfront rooms and more benefits;
- Each of the resort’s seven buildings have rooms on the ground floor with direct access to a swimming pool;
- The property is built nine feet above the sea, offering views of the ocean from everywhere;
- Three swimming pools, including one called Haven, which is completely circular and two other rectangular pools in front of the main building;
- Five restaurants, including four a la carte.
Well-being and spirituality
The hotel is quite literally centred on well-being and spirituality: the spa is located right in the center of the main building's ground floor, which Connert describes as a “meeting point.”
- In addition to regular massages and the hydrotherapy circuit, the MySenses spa offers new experiences:
- A shaman offers readings of tea leaves, a personal experience that moved many journalists present;
- Jelena, in charge of the spa, offers reiki sessions;
- It also offers human bio-frequency analyses using a Quantum magnetic resonance analyzer.
The best is yet to come
Of the seven buildings, two are still under construction, while of the five restaurants, two are not yet open – Flavors, the main restaurant; and Vora Mar, the grill. In addition, the beach, while certainly long, was not yet developed during our visit earlier this month.
Connert ensures that everything will be finished by Nov. 1. To make sure everything is perfectly done, PAX suggests waiting a few more weeks, around Dec. 1, before sending clients.
Agents should note that the hotel has an introductory offer until Oct. 31, valid for all stays in 2018-19: all rooms are 40 per cent off, with prices for two people starting at $368 (instead of US $614).
Our journalist was the guest of Haven Riviera Cancún.