Following a very successful tourism year in 2018, Riviera Nayarit has announced a series of new luxury hotels will open, starting this year.
The destination reported an average occupancy rate of 75 per cent throughout 2018 and growth among relevant segments. Tourism represented a spend of more than $1.6 billion (USD) in revenue.
The destination maintained strong hotel occupancy throughout the year, peaking at 91 per cent in February. At 2.38 per cent, average per room density also remained low in 2018, a testament to the market’s luxury appeal with families.
Luxury on the rise
Four-and-five-star properties performed particularly well with occupancy averaging approximately 65 per cent in 2018, and a year over year increase in luxury inventory of nearly five per cent; furthermore, luxury property rates grew by more than 20 per cent in 2018 due to market demands. The markets that generated the most demand for Riviera Nayarit were the United States, Canada and the domestic Mexico market.
The fastest growing markets in 2018 included the United Kingdom, Colombia, Argentina, Spain and Brazil.
2019 and beyond
The following developments will occur in 2019:
- 140 suites from Grand Sirenis Matlali, expected to complete the second stage of the luxury beachfront development.
- Marival Resorts will open its third property Marival Armony Punta de Mita featuring more than 260 guest rooms.
- A 300-room Iberostar property in Litibu.
- The completion of Conrad Hotels & Resorts’ renovation and reflagging of the former La Tranquila Resort, to be dubbed, Conrad Playa Mita,
- Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita, currently in the midst of a four-year, $30 million enhancement project is scheduled for completion in 2019.
- Rosewood Hotels & Resorts will debut Rosewood Mandarina featuring 130 guest rooms, suites, villas and common areas.
- One & Only Mandarina will house one of the world's first One & Only residence collections, One & Only Mandarina Private Homes.
- AMResorts’ Dreams Punta de Mita Resort & Spa and Secrets Punta de Mita Resort & Spa will open in 2020.
- and the ultra-luxurious Auberge Resorts Collection property, Susurros del Corazon in 2020.
- Costa Canuva CIP, a nearly two-billion-dollar luxury development project that will be home to five new resorts, adding more than 7,000 rooms to the destination including the first Fairmont property in the region.
- Scheduled to open in 2022, the Ritz-Carlton Reserve Riviera Nayarit will feature 110 deluxe rooms, suites and private villas with ocean views.
- While an official date is not yet confirmed, visitors of all ages will delight when Grupo Vidanta opens the first Cirque du Soleil theme park in Mexico, an immersive natural and water park featuring capacity for up to 5,000.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!