“A new paradise is born,” declared Dominican Republic’s Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García to a packed room of international media, travel trade, and the country’s president, Danilo Medina, at the official launch of Club Med’s new Michès Playa Esmeralda resort.
Surrounded by a lush palm grove, tropical forest, and 2,000 feet of white sandy beach, Michès is part of a series of firsts for the all-inclusive: the first resort in the Dominican Republic’s largely undeveloped northeast coast, the first property Club Med has built in North America in 25 years, and the first in the Americas to open as part of Club Med's Exclusive Collection.
Previously branded as “5-Trident,” Exclusive Collection spaces are Club Med’s most upscale, luxurious, and spacious properties with unique architecture and design elements, elevated standards of service, and more choices in food and beverages.
There are currently four categories within Club Med’s Exclusive Collection:
- Villas and chalets
- Dedicated spaces within existing 3-Trident properties (such as Punta Cana) with dedicated pool and bar, room service, and concierge
- Full Exclusive Collection resorts including Cefalù in Sicily, Finolhu Villas in the Maldives, Valmorel Chalets in the French Alps, and now, Michès Playa Esmeralda
A 75-minute drive from Punta Cana Airport, the 335-room, 93-acre property is an integral part of the company’s worldwide development plan to open three to five new or fully-renovated resorts per year, including one ski property.
“It’s very exciting times,” says Vice-President, Canada and Mexico at Club Med Amélie Brouhard. “[Michès] is the only hotel in the whole area. We’re positioning ourselves to be pioneers. It’s in our DNA and will continue in 2020 and beyond”.
All eyes on sustainability
A major component of Club Med’s expansion plans is sustainability.
“Currently 78 per cent of our resorts are Green Globe certified and our objective is to reach 100 per cent in the next two years,” says Brouhard. “We didn’t wait for it to become a trend. Our sustainability department was created in 2005.”
Club Med resorts are an increasingly desirable option for travellers who are concerned about their environmental footprint.
Each new property (including Michès) is now built using BREEAM Certified standards including responsible construction materials, energy use, food, waste and water management.
Guests at Michès will see very little plastic anywhere in the resort. Disposable cutlery is made from biodegradable avocado, staff uniforms are made from recycle plastic bottles, and there will be no single-use plastics at all by 2021.
Another consideration is the biodiversity of the area. During the construction, plants and palm trees at Michès were numbered, stored, and re-planted in the same spot.
Fun for the whole family
Another area where Club Med is amping up is its commitment is to families.
Michès has dedicated Mini Club programs available to children from four months to 17 years, but the needs of guests with children is evolving.
“We’re catering more and more to three generational and millennial families who have different expectations,” says Brouhard. “They want transformative experiences and are really looking for something unique and out of the ordinary.”
Michès offers many activities (all included) that parents and kids can do together as part of Club Med’s Amazing Family concept which launched in 2019.
Some of the family-friendly activities at Michès Playa Esmeralda include an interactive rock-climbing wall, family yoga sessions, horseback riding on the beach, trapeze lessons, and paddle boarding.
Four unique villages
Designed for families or adults only, Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda has four restaurants and four boutique villages, each with its own unique feel and design:
Made up of 111 Deluxe Rooms and Ocean View Junior Suites, Caribbean Paradise is the resort’s standard category for families and couples. Closest to beach activities, the main swimming pool, and Coco Plum restaurant (open all day), upper floors have a terrace, while ground floor rooms can access a garden. Living room sofas convert into single beds, while larger groups have the option to book interconnected rooms.
For a more elevated family stay, Explorer Cove is great for families up to five people. Ocean-front near the flying trapeze, sports and mini club, there are 158 accommodations made up of four room types: Deluxe, Deluxe Family, Ocean View Family Junior Suites, and the most luxurious and spacious La Perla Suites.
Here, kids have their own bathroom (with Le Petit Prince bath products!) and charming canopy beds. La Perla guests can eat room service al fresco on their own terrace or take a swim in the exclusive La Perla Pool and Bar with tents and kid-sized loungers.
Adults and couples looking for romance and privacy will love Archipelago. Garden or sea view, there are 18 suites, each with its own private infinity pool, hammock, outdoor shower, and exclusive access to the (adult only) Zen beach. This village is also just a five-minute walk to nightly sunset parties (with champagne) and electric jetboarding (aka surfing, no waves required!) in Samaná Bay.
Emerald Jungle is the resort’s calmest and most secluded village. This adult-only oasis is nestled among cool, rustling palms and consists of 48 garden-view rooms, all within close walking distance to the treetop yoga canopy, natural Zen pool (filtered by plants!) with swim-up bar, and Cinq Mondes Spa featuring a Hammam spa and cold-hot pools.
Amenities for all
Amenities families will love at Michès Playa Esmeralda:
- Baby welcome kits including stroller, baby bath, and bottle warmer
- Baby food corners in the Cayuco Market buffet restaurant well-stocked with fresh fruit and vegetable purees
- The Cacao & Co. family restaurant where kids get hands-on cooking lessons and families can share fun-sized dishes
- Amazing Family activities including tennis, family yoga, pickleball, mini putt, movies under the stars, and the Little Gardeners’ House (an interactive family-friendly gardening experience)
- Pyjama Club, a babysitting service for parents want to enjoy a date night
Amenities kids will love:
- Child-height sinks and step-up stools in all the restaurant bathrooms
- Mini rope course and zip-line (up to age 6)
- Flying trapeze lessons (4+)
- The impressive Splash Park
- The children’s ‘Speakeasy,’ a secret chocolate room that can only be accessed by code once the kids have cooked a dish for their parents
- The dedicated Passworld lounge just for teens 11-17 years
Amenities adults will love:
- Morning and afternoon yoga sessions in the treehouse palapa
- Trapeze lessons and aerial yoga
- Adult-only spaces including the Zen oasis pool and Zen beach
- Local coffee and chocolates at the resort’s own Coffee House
- Wine and spirits tastings at one of three La Cava wine cellars
- The Coal & Copper steakhouse with dry aged beef and signature cocktails
Agents take note
Agents booking a Club Med trip for their clients can benefit from the Great Club Med Advisors incentives program by clicking here. It offers points that agents can redeem for room upgrades and free nights for both themselves and their clients.
READ MORE: Club Med Joins SIREV Booking Platform
The more points the agent earns, the more rewards they get.
Advisors looking to book Club Med can do so through the web-based booking system SIREV or by phone:
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!