Silversea's Silver Explorer has launched the much-anticipated return of ultra-luxury expedition cruising to Antarctica, setting sail from her new departure port of Puerto Williams, Chile, on November 10. Silver Cloud subsequently joined her fleetmate in Antarctica, sailing from Punta Arenas, Chile, on November 14.
"We are proud and excited to be at the forefront of the comeback of ultra-luxury expedition cruising in Antarctica," said Roberto Martinoli, Silversea's President and CEO. "Accompanied by our seasoned team of expedition experts, our guests will not only be in awe of the authentic beauty and unique wildlife of the White Continent, but they will also enjoy the signature distinctions that have made Silversea the leader in luxury expedition cruising."
Conrad Combrink, senior vice-president of Expeditions, Turnaround Operations and Destination Management, Silversea Cruises. added: "By embarking on a private, direct flight from Santiago to Puerto Williams, we are unlocking a flight path that has not been operated for more than 30 years - and never in such luxury - to deliver comfort and convenience to our guests."
For the first time, Silversea’s guests are discovering Antarctica from Puerto Williams aboard Silver Explorer.
DAP Antarctic Airways is providing Silversea’s guests with private, round-trip flights between Santiago and Puerto Williams. DAP Antarctic Airways is also the carrier selected to provide the flight component of Antarctica Bridge, Silversea’s new fly-cruise program that provides the fastest, most direct route to Antarctica.
Offering a range of itinerary options, Silver Explorer and Silver Cloud will unlock the White Continent for guests through March 2022.
Several itineraries focus on the stunning pristine wilderness of the Antarctic Peninsula and the South Shetland Islands, while others include visits to South Georgia and the Falkland Islands, where opportunities abound to witness bustling penguin colonies and other amazing wildlife.
Silversea will inaugurate its Antarctica Bridge fly-cruise option on Dec. 11, 2021, enabling guests to skip the Drake Passage and fly in comfort straight to Antarctica to start their cruise.
Another season highlight, a special Deep South Expedition voyage will spend 20 days tracing a path beyond the Antarctic Circle, attempting to reach a latitude of 69 degrees south, beginning January 27, 2022.
Silversea’s third ice-class ship, Silver Wind, has now left the dry dock at the Remontowa shipyard in Gdańsk, Poland.
Expanding the range of voyage options for Silversea's expeditions, Silver Wind will debut as an expedition ship in May 2022 in the Mediterranean, before heading to Northern Europe and the Arctic for the summer season.
The package comes with:
- Round-trip transoceanic flights in economy class (or reduced business class airfares) to Santiago;
- a one-night, pre-cruise hotel stay in Santiago;
- domestic flights between Santiago and Puerto Williams/Punta Arenas;
- transfers and luggage handling between airport, hotel and ship;
- all-inclusive voyage, including butler service, gratuities, multiple restaurants and in-suite dining including caviar, and premium beverages in-suite and throughout the ship;
- enrichments from a highly-qualified expedition team, including lectures, guided Zodiac®, land and sea tours;
- expedition gear, including parka, backpack and water bottle;
- a post-cruise day-use hotel stay (with transfers) for guests who do not have a return international flight on the day of disembarkation.