Tuesday,  October 19, 2021  11:28 pm

NCL & Cunard extend suspension on voyages

  • Cruises
  •   04-24-2020  1:26 pm
  •   Pax Global Media

NCL & Cunard extend suspension on voyages
Norwegian Bliss
Pax Global Media

This article has been updated as of 11:15 a.m. EST to include details on NCL's suspended sailings.


Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., which operates the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands, is extending the suspension of all sailings across its fleet through June 30th, 2020 and plans to relaunch cruise operations with embarkations beginning July 1st, 2020.

The voyage suspension contributes to global efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. The Company will continue to work in tandem with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the federal government and global public health authorities to take all necessary precautions to ensure the health, safety and security of guests, crew and the communities visited. 

“We are committed to taking all appropriate actions to combat the spread of COVID-19 and as such, have extended our global voyage suspension through June 30. We continue to work closely and in partnership with the U.S.CDC, global public health authorities and local, state and federal governments to build upon our already rigorous health and safety protocols to ensure that our brands are ready to safely resume operations with these new protocols in place,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “Our teams are working around the clock to do what is right by our loyal guests and valued travel partners and we greatly appreciate their understanding as we continue to adapt to the ever-evolving global health environment.”

Guests who had an active reservation on one of the suspended cruises will automatically receive a 125 per cent or 150 per cent refund of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31st, 2022.

Cunard's Queen Victoria

Cunard will also be extending the pause to voyages.

For its ships Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria, Cunard is cancelling all sailings that were due to depart up to and including July 31, 2020. 

For Queen Elizabeth, the cruise line has taken the practical decision to cancel the entire Alaska season and all departures up to and including Sept. 8th, 2020.

“These are extraordinary times and this global outbreak continues to challenge Cunard and the travel industry as a whole,” said Simon Palethorpe, president, Cunard. “We would love nothing more than to bring our fleet back in to service, and give our guests the holidays they deserve and long for, but with the lockdowns and travel restrictions in place around the world, this is simply not possible at this time.”

Cunard will be communicating with all guests, and their travel advisors, who are booked on affected voyages. As Cunard has done previously during this pause period, guests who are booked on cancelled voyages will automatically be given a 125% Future Cruise Credit or have an option of a full refund.    

Full details on voyage cancellations and Cunard’s current cancellation policies can be found on Cunard.com.


Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today! 

Indicator...