It’s no secret that some Canadian travellers may decide to explore their own country this summer as COVID-19 restrictions continue to impact global borders and air lift.
Whether it’s travel for today, or for tomorrow, it’s never too late to start planning that next great Canadian adventure, and Expedia travellers are helping narrow down the options by ranking the friendliest Canadian towns and cities for 2021.
Did a local provide an outstanding dinner recommendation? Were travellers greeted with smiles and hellos (or at least smiling eyes over a mask)? Did a city just have an overall feel-good energy?
These might be some of the random acts of friendliness that earned cities and towns across the country the highest mentions of "friendly, friendliest, amiable," and other word associations and related linguistic connections based on Expedia traveller reviews from January 2019 to December 2020.
The top 20 friendliest town and cities in Canada, according to Expedia users include:
- Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia: A perfect spot to experience the great outdoors, and for those that enjoy hiking, there are many trails in the area to explore.
- Digby, Nova Scotia: Experience the east coast, and grab a bite to eat at a local restaurant.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario: Visit this quaint town in Ontario filled with lots of restaurants and wineries for the perfect weekend away.
- Baddeck, Nova Scotia: An east coast escape on Cape Breton Island.
- Drumheller, Alberta: Visit the dinosaur capital of the world.
- Saint John, New Brunswick: Soak in the picturesque views of the Bay of Fundy.
- Gatineau, Quebec: Take in the sites and landscape of this western Quebec city that neighbours Ottawa, and is close to many trails.
- Thunder Bay, Ontario: Calling all outdoor enthusiasts! Thunder Bay is full of adventure and activities all year long.
- Banff, Alberta: Explore: Banff National Park through a guided walking tour.
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island: Stay in a quaint inn in PEI.
- Whistler, British Columbia: For those that love biking tours, Whistler has plenty of options.
- Osoyoos, British Columbia: A peaceful escape surrounded by nature and many local wineries.
- La Malbaie, Quebec: Relax in the stunning region of Charlevoix.
- Nanaimo, British Columbia: A place to take in and feel that fresh ocean air.
- Mont-Tremblant, Quebec: Stroll through the pedestrian village at the base of Mont Tremblant.
- St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador: Full of history and charm, a must-see when visiting the province.
- Gananoque, Ontario: A jumping off point to experience the 1000 islands.
- Canmore, Alberta: Stay in the mountains and take in the breathtaking views.
- Stratford, Ontario: A relaxing escape for those looking for some creative inspiration.
- Fernie, British Columbia: Adventure in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Of course, always check local restrictions and testing requirements, stay-at-home orders, and quarantine requirements for all destinations before you travel.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!